Listen to Melbourne lunar sorcerer Moonlover’s debut album Thou Shall Be Free released purposefully last Friday on the Virgo Full Moon. An intricate and intriguing psychedelic pop epic by Moonlover’s Quang Dinh, Thou Shall Be Free offers a top quality cosmic experience to wax and wane to as you spin around on your own personal axis, wearing headphones and dreaming away.
There’s a lot to digest, and though it’s not usually good music blogging practice, WildnFree cannot ignore the thorough explanatory detail provided on the press release delivered by Moonlover’s record label and publicist. To do Thou Shall Be Free a little more justice, she therefore reports the following:
- The record was written as an ode to observation of experiences around us.
- The work in its entirety is a collection of reinterpreted nuances from the universe.
- Title track Thou Shall Be Free was gifted to Quang by the great David Bowie who came to him in a dream. Deep in slumber, Quang was visited by Bowie who sang to him the opening line ‘Oh, oh, oh oh, Thou Shall Be Free’.
- Queen of Sheba is an offering to the ancient Ethiopian Queen.
- Mekong Delta Blues opens with a recording of Quang’s father speaking on his experience migrating from post-war Vietnam, including this pearler, “…and then love tightened each other together..”
- The album was recorded, produced and performed by Moonlover in his personal oasis Pink Slime Studios, with mixing by with John Lee (Lost Animal, Beaches, Emma Russack) and mastering by Joe Carra (King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard, Courtney Barnett, Eddy Current Suppression Ring).
Now you know, listen. Catch Moonlover live on the dates below.
UPCOMING MOONLOVER SHOWS
Wednesday March 7 @ The Tote
Supporting Sons of Rico
Sunday March 11 @ The Rochey,
Tuesday March 13 @ The Tramway
With Jessie L Warren
Thursday March 22 @ Littlefoot
With Kelly Day
Wednesday March 28 @ The Tote
Supporting Angel Olsen – SOLD OUT